- Related Complex Litigation
Martha T. Starkey, “Marti”, born in Evansville, Indiana, June 26, 1954, is a partner at Harrison & Moberly, LLP, where she serves as Chair of the Trust and Estate Practice Group. She has practiced in the area of Wills, Trusts, Estates, and Related Litigation for over 35 years and built her practice by providing excellent legal work in an atmosphere of care and concern for each client. Marti has served as lead litigation counsel in some of the largest and highest profile fiduciary litigation cases in Indiana and the Midwest.
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, J.D., 1981
- University of Evansville, B.S., cum laude, 1976. (Graduated as Outstanding Senior Woman)
- Indiana Supreme Court 1981
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Chair, Estate Planning and Administration Section, 1996-1997; Judicial Evaluation Committee, 1999-2004; Co-Chair, 2002; Judicial Selection Committee, 2001; Judicial Excellence Political Action Committee, 2004-05; Vice President, Board of Managers, 2001-2002)
- Indiana State and American Bar Associations
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Uniform Law Commission, 1990-; Indiana Chair, 1992-2010; Division Chair
- Member, Joint Editorial Board for Uniform Trust/Estate Acts for the Uniform Law Commission, 2005-present
- Review Committee, Uniform Health Care Decisions Act
- Drafting Committee, Uniform Trust Act
- Drafting Committee, Uniform Power of Attorney Act
- Trustee of the Uniform Law Foundation
- Drafting Committee, Uniform Directed Trust Act
Indiana Practical Estate Planning and Will Drafting, 1989; Administration of the Estate in Indiana, 1990-91; How to Build and Run a Probate Practice, 1992; ICLEF Estate Planning 101, 1993; Winning Financial Strategies for Women, 1993-94; Business Succession Planning, 1993; Basic Tax Issues in Estate Administration, 1994; ICLEF Forms and Procedures for Transfers of Assets to Living Trusts, 1995; ICLEF Avoiding Malpractice, 1996; ICLEF National Estate and Trust Litigation, 2003.
Board of Directors
Wheeler Mission, 1989-; University of Evansville, 1994-99; Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic, 2003-2009.
Indiana Super Lawyer by Law & Politics Magazine, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 (named as one of top 25 female attorneys in Indiana in 2010), 2011, 2012; Received the “Five Star Professional Award” for the best in client service from Indianapolis Monthly magazine in 2009, 2013; Named as the YWCA 2010 Woman of the Year in Law.
Marti’s two books: The Blessing of Obedience and The Blessing of Obedience – A Companion Study Guide were published in 2011 and 2012, respectively. Marti also wrote a monthly personal article for the Indy Metro Woman magazine.
Founder and Sponsor of the Starkey Entrepreneurial Woman Award
(“SEWA”) with Harrison & Moberly, LLP, 2004 to present.
Marti also serves her community by leading a ladies Bible study for the last eight years in her neighborhood.